1. How do I register my Emotional Support Animal and get my ID Tags?top

Very simple. You simply fill out the short form here on our homepage with some of your information and some of your dogs information and your dog will immediately be registered. You will then be taken to the next page where you can order your ID cards and Doctors Evaluation which will be sent to you via USPS and you will receive a tracking number sent to your email.

2. What is an Emotional Support Animal?top

United States Law states that an Emotional Support Animal (ESA) is a pet that provides therapeutic benefits to their owner through affection and companionship. ESA’s are not required to go through any specific training but they must have the same training that a typical pet would have to get along in society and not cause danger or harm to others.

3. Do I qualify to register my emotional support animal?top

Unlike Service Dogs, Emotional Support Animals are much easier to qualify for because the animal does NOT need to be specifically trained to perform a task. Rather, you as the handler must qualify by having an emotional/mental need to have that animal be with you at home or when traveling to provide “emotional support.” You may order any one of our kits which will clearly let the public know that you have an ESA but the law also requires that you have a letter of prescription from a mental health professional. We have joined forces with a mental health professional who is an expert in the ESA field and is currently offering all of our clients at ESARA the opportunity to obtain an ESA Evaluation/Prescription Letter! You can order your ESA Evaluation by clicking here now.

4. How do I take my dog on an airplane?top

Many of the airlines will ask that you notify them in advance of travel that an Emotional Support Animal will be accompanying you. We recommend informing the airline at booking that you will have an ESA with you and let them know that your dog will be clearly marked with his/her ESA ID as well as your doctor’s letter when you arrive at the airport.

5. My dog is very large. Is there a size limit?top

No. There is no discrimination allowed when it comes to Service Dogs and ESA’s so the size of your dog means nothing. Airlines are required to allow the dog to accompany you to your seat regardless of the size of your service dog.

6. What type of proof should I have with me when traveling or moving into a new house with my Emotional Support Animal?top

Typically, your ID or certificate from us should suffice. However, you are also required by law to have a doctors letter which should be written by a mental health professional. If you do not have your ESA evaluation letter yet, you can get one from our mental health professional by purchasing it on the products page or over the phone.

7. What is the difference between an Emotional Support Animal (ESA) and a Service Dog?top

An emotional support animal is just that. It’s a dog that belongs to somebody who has emotional needs. Sometimes people will refer to them as “therapy dogs” or “comfort dogs” but this is not recognized by the Americans with Disabilities Act.

The person must have a mental health professional determine that the presence of a dog is necessary for them to continue their daily living habits. They are also required to have a doctor write a letter to this effect.

ESA’s are allowed to fly as well and live in housing that would otherwise say “No Animals.” However, under the current ACAA and FHA (Air Carrier Access Act and Fair Housing Act) an ESA is only protected as follows:

An ESA may fly in the cabin of a commercial or private airline with their handler, and the handler does not have to pay a pet or other fee. A very specific prescription letter from a licensed mental health profession is typically ALWAYS required by airlines, as well as advance notice in most cases that the passenger will be flying with an ESA.

Landlords and property managers must make reasonable accommodations for tenants or prospective tenants with ESAs, even if the apartment, house, college dorm, or other residence does not allow pets. Reasonable fees may be asked of the client, similar to a pet fee. Besides requiring a letter of prescription. Property managers/landlords may require that the (prospective) tenant’s mental health professional complete and sign a Third Party Verification form.

Service animals are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, or performing other duties. Service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person’s disability. Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA. If you have an emotional support animal please visit our website at esaregistration.org.

8. Is my dog required to wear any identifying clothes or a harness?top

No. Federal law does not require Service Dogs/ESA’s to wear any type of clothing or harnesses. However, we strongly encourage you to make your dog look as “official” as possible. It will cause you far less confusion when taking them places and you will definitely be happy you did…We carry the best harnesses and patches on the market and you may order one by clicking here.

9. What kind of photo do you need for my ID?top

We just ask that you simply upload a high quality image/headshot of your dog to the upload form on the ID application. We ask that it be a JPG or a PNG and that it not be any larger than 500×500 pixels.

10. What if I want to register my dog as a service dog?top

If you would like to register your dog as a service dog, please visit our sister site: www.servicedogregistration.org.