For millions of Americans, emotional support animals (ESAs) help them navigate the world while dealing with emotional and/psychological challenges. These animal companions are not pets – they are certified and protected as a necessary form of treatment for people with a variety of disorders. Emotional support animals can only be prescribed by a certified mental health professional.
For the letters themselves, should the client wish to have a Travel and Housing Letter combined, and they find they qualify for the letter, the mental health professional will send a single letter with both described in the one letter. Although the criteria and assessments are the same for either letter, some may find they only need one rather than both. They can purchase the letter which they find they are needing the most. The Housing letter never expires and does not need to be renewed. For those who request and qualify for the Travel letter, they would need to renew annually, and the dates of that letter are good from one year to the day of the phone assessment.
Emotional support animals support people all over the country through various challenges. Thanks to the Americans with Disabilities Act, ESAs can accompany people onto airplanes or residences that don't allow pets. While they aren't service dogs, an ESA and their owner can expect substantial accommodations.
In January 2021, the Department of Transportation (DOT) came out with a new final ruling that amends the Air Carrier Access Act. The new rule states that emotional support animals are no longer a protected class of animal and airlines are no longer required to allow them on flights. Service Dogs, which are animals that are trained to perform a specific task, are allowed on flights by passengers are now required to submit a form before flying stating that the dog has been trained, is in good health, and can properly perform a specific task for its owner.
ESA Registration of American Blog
- 10 Best Emotional Support Cats Breeds
- How Do Dogs Show Affection? 15 Heartwarming Ways
- How Can An Emotional Support Dog Help A Veteran?
- 10 Best Therapy Dog Breeds For Autism
- 7 Most Unbelievable Facts About Therapy Dogs
- How To Choose a Therapy Dog: A Basic Guide
- What Are Emotional Support Animals Allowed To Do?
- Do I Have To Tell My Landlord About My Emotional Support Animal?
- My Dog Is Very Large. Is There an Emotional Support Animal Size Limit?
- Benefits of Registering Your Dog as an Emotional Support Animal